HPE MSA Remote Snap Software is array based functionality that provides remote replication on the HPE MSA 1060 array products. MSA Remote Snap is a form of asynchronous replication which consists of replication of block-level data from a volume on a local system to a volume on a second independent system. This second system may be co-located with the first system or may be located at a remote site.
· MSA Remote Snaps are used to determine the data to be replicated using the differences in snapshots on the primary volume, minimizing the amount of data to be transferred.
· MSA Remote Snap replication technology provides the ability to accomplish key data management and protection capabilities. First, because Remote Snap uses snapshots as the underlying technology can create multiple local recovery points which can be used for such tasks as to complement daily backups; second, replication provides the ability to access data in a remote site which could be used for dispersed operations; and third but definitely not least important replication allows for business continuance in the event of a failure on the primary site.
· In order to perform a replication, a snapshot of the volume to be replicated is taken, creating a point-in-time image of the data. This point-in-time image is compared to the point-in-time image taken during the previous replication and the changes are then replicated to the destination volume by copying the data represented by the snapshot via a transport medium such as TCP/IP (iSCSI) or Fibre Channel. The amount of data transferred is minimized though the use of snapshots whenever possible.
· Support of both Ethernet and Fibre Channel interconnects provides flexible options to the application environments.
· Snapshot based replication technology means only changed data will be replicated to alternate site.
· MSA Remote Snap on the MSA 1060 allows one peer connection.
· Advanced scheduler provides several options to IT administrators for business continuance
· Flexible architecture allows remote replication between MSA 1060 and MSA 2060 or MSA 2062 arrays using the virtual storage architecture and licensed for Remote Snap with the Advanced Data Services LTU.
· Snapshot based replication enables both local and remote recovery depending on the need. Snapshot replication isolates problems to a specific point in time which can be selected by the administrator. Additionally snapshot replication supports longer distance replication.
· Fast application recovery with minimal or no transaction loss.
· Creation of disaster tolerant copies of your critical business data.
· No-single-point-of-failure solution to increase the availability of your data.
· With the improved disaster recovery features of the MSA 1060, MSA 2060 and MSA 2062, you can failover to the secondary / remote volume or volume group, map the secondary volume or volume group for access, then, when the primary array has recovered, failback to the primary volume or volume group, with the option to incorporate changes made to the secondary volume or volume group back to the primary volume or volume group.
· Another improvement in Remote Snap with the MSA 1060, MSA 2060 and MSA 2062 is the ability to reverse the direction of the replication set
Notes: One Advanced Data Services Suite License per array is required for replication. For example, if you have two MSA arrays performing replication (from Primary system to Remote System), you will need a total of 2 licenses.